Let’s met Annie. Say hi to her–
When I was working towards understand Kerry’s far, far, better half, I started throwing around what I knew about her, and began format that knowledge into the world I was creating. This is where Scapple, the mind mapping program created by the same people who make Scrivener, came in handy, because I could make notes and interconnect them to other notes, work them around and get an idea about where I was going with the character.
I’ve seen where others have also used Scapple to work out plots for their stories. I’ve played with this a little in that area, but I’ve yet to work out a story where my notes and ideas would find themselves interconnected in such a way that a coherent tale springs forth. Though there are a couple of scenes I’m considering working out this way . . .
On to the current work in progress. When I prepared to start the novel, I did so–as I usually do–with two things in mind: I needed a title, and I needed an ending. The idea of the title I got from Harlan Ellison, who commented on more than a few occasions that he couldn’t write until there was a title on the page. Now, my titles may change as I get deeper into a story–that happened a few times with The Foundation Chronicles: A for Advanced–but I always have a title. And the ending idea comes from Issac Asimov, who was quoted saying that it was necessary to know how his story finished so he’d know how to get there.
I knew how I wanted to start the story. There would be a prologue with two scenes: the first would have Annie standing next to a tree near her lake house, and the second would be The Foundation people convincing the parents of a sullen and likely depressed Kerry that he was getting a free ride to a school for special students outside Salem, Massachusetts, and that he should pack his bags because he was leaving for London in a couple of hours if he said yes.
The last two scenes would mirror the intro: the first scene would show Kerry returning from school, somewhat depressed because he’s parted from someone special to him, and now it’s time to go back to his old, “Normal” life, while the second scenes would show Annie standing next to a tree near her lake house, equally sad from saying goodbye to her “Ginger Haired Boy”, and having to face the summer without him.
With that in mind, it was time to start plotting.
Since I was working in parts, chapters, and scenes, I decided to work in Scrivener through Outline Mode, because as folders and text files were added, and metadata added, it was a simple matter to move things around when and where needed, and lay out dates and times as needed. As the Prologue and Chapter One were almost all Annie and Kerry there wasn’t much of a need to keep track of other characters, because the one who did walk onto the written stage didn’t require a great deal of attention.
It was easy to plot things out like this, but keep in mind this is a small section of the story. There’s a lot more in the next two acts–which were added about half way through writing the first act. This is something that’s nice about Scrivener: you need to add or move something around, you do.
Something else I used for the first time were document notes. These came in handy when I was writing about Annie and Kerry’s day trip around London, which was done almost entirely via tube travel. Notes stay attached to a scene, so once in place they’re always there inside the Inspector (the area on the right) all the time.
Another thing I did on this novel was layer scenes under a top scene. I used it extensively for the scene “Over the Pond”, where all the action took place on-board a 747, and point of view switched from my kids to some traveling instructors, and back. The date and time were already set, so here it was just a matter of knowing who was in each sub-scene aboard the plane, and that information was kept in the metadata for each scene. The great thing with these layered scenes is when you don’t need to see them, you just collapse them under the top lead-in scene and all is right in the world once more.
One last thing to mention about this layered scenes is that they were added as I wrote. I did the lead-in scene, then decided I’d write about Annie and Kerry finding their seats, or the instructors talking about Phee–I know who that is–and I’d add the text file, do a copy and paste on the metadata, set the Label and Status, and away I’d write. Easily Peasily!
And that leads to cross-checking what I’d laid out in Scrivener by seeing if the time lines matched up. There was always the possibility that something was off, and sure enough, once I started plugging things into Aeon Timeline, there were a few things that didn’t make sense. Now, this didn’t affect the plot, but in terms of when things happened, it was a good idea for me to see if everything worked. I didn’t actually need to do this for what became the first act, but this was practice for something that was coming in Act Two, and the practice of laying out this first section of the book helped me understand how I was going to lay out an important set of scenes that required things to happen at certain times, within a certain time frame. And that would be important to the story . . .